I sent out an email to 8th grade parents regarding the end of the year activities. Please let us know if you did not receive it; you will need the dates of graduation and other events for your planning. All other parents should be receiving information from your child's homeroom teacher about the trips and award ceremonies. Please put everything on your calendar.
At the end of this letter you'll find a note from Mrs. Julie about the upcoming spring musicals. Last Monday the third and fourth graders put on a fantastic performance of Annie! Congratulations to all of those connected to the play. Great job! A select middle school chorus performed the Star Spangled Banner Thursday night for the Sarasota Police Foundation.
This Monday evening and Wednesday evening a number of our students will have their art displayed at the North County Art Show at the Art Center Sarasota. Students whose work is being displayed received an invitation to the reception on those nights, but the show stays up for about two weeks. If you can stop by to view the work, I think you will be impressed.
Remember to drop off used clothing for our fund raiser this week on Thursday and Friday. We hope this will become a continuous event. A flyer went home last week with more details. Thanks to Daniella Sarhan's parents for this opportunity.
Testing ends this week for most students. Monday and Tuesday the fifth graders will complete the FCAT Science test while the eighth graders complete theirs in two sessions on Monday. The sixth graders will complete the second and third sessions of the FSA Math assessment on Monday as well. Any make-up tests will be completed by Friday.
Music Department Information from Mrs. Julie:
1. Tomorrow is the 1st and 2nd grade performance of "Music Man Jr." Prepare to be amazed! As many of you know, we ordered the "Kids" version of this show only to find out it wouldn't be in print until April. We needed it by January so we had to get the Junior version written for 5th through 9th grade students. My intent was to cut it. But I underestimated the unbelievable talents of this 1/2 group! I have cut nothing (except the kiss between Harold and Marian). I have been aided in blocking scenes by the incomparable Bob Turoff, former owner of the Golden Apple Dinner Theatre and Grandpa to our own Avery and Kennedy in 1st grade. These kids have done an incredible job. Be sure we have a packed audience to appreciate their extremely hard work. Mr. Bryan even taught the boys to play band instruments! The students should come dressed in their first costume tomorrow morning. Be sure to bring all other costumes and wear dress shoes. We will leave school in the charter bus at 8:15 am. The students will report back to Glenridge Performing Arts Center between 5 and 5:30 pm. The show starts at 6 pm and will end between 7:30 and 7:45 pm. See you there!
2. Our Jason's Deli Fundraiser will be Wednesday night but only if we get 20 online responses by today. Please go on the Groupraise website you were given and register today!
3. The Applebee's Flapjack Fundraiser will be this Saturday from 8 am to 10 am. This is a great opportunity to raise the last $1000 we need for transportation costs. Please send in your ticket order no later than Wednesday morning. I will send another one home with the students on Tuesday. It is a great private party because no one is there but SAA family and friends, the food is delicious, and the kids have a blast serving! It is an all around FUN event and we make $6 on every guest! Please come and bring everyone you know!!
4. The last of our elementary Broadway musicals will be next Monday, May 9th, when Peter Pan flies on the stage ( with help from Tino Wallenda and John Nock!). It will be exciting.
5. Please keep putting up "Anything Goes" posters all over town and keep buying tickets through the Players Theatre. That show is May 27th!
6. Please remember we have a big workday on Saturday, May 14th. We need lots of dads to build and moms to paint. Of course they can switch jobs too! Please come if you can.
7. Thanks for all you do!
Have a wonderful week!