We have a busy week coming up so please check the school calendar. We don't want you to miss anything.
I spent some time this weekend reading summaries of research showing the effect of parental involvement on student success. All of them indicate the more parents are involved in their child's education, the more successful he or she is likely to be. Parents can be involved in many ways at home and at school.
- Check the agenda books and ask to see homework assignments. We try not to assign an excessive amount of homework because we know how busy your lives are, but some subjects require practice and reinforcement.
- You've heard many times already that reading at home has a great effect on all areas of reading - fluency, comprehension, and transfer of knowledge. We want all students to read at least 20 minutes a day.
- Try to attend family functions at school. Again, you are busy, but when children see their parents attending school functions, the importance of education is reinforced, that school and home are connected.
- Also, check the online gradebook. You can see grades, if assignments are missing, and attendance.
- Finally, the school needs you involved in planning and decision-making through SAC (the school advisory committee) and PTO. We hope you will be an active member of the SAA community; you are an integral part of the education process.
- There are many more ways you can be involved. This Tuesday and Thursday nights are evenings for the parents of the elementary students to follow the student schedules to see exactly what and how they are being taught. Please attend Tuesday evening for 4th and 5th graders and Thursday evening for kindergarten through third graders. We look forward to seeing you.
Have a great week!